Rather unpleasant to-day—cloudy and damp, though not cold—Unhealthy.
Went to Grace church in the morning. Tried to get in the “Floating Chapel” in the afternoon, but could not on account of the crowd, so from there went to St. Peter’s—good music. Took the Misses S—d—n to St. Philips in the evening.
The Grace Church was at the corner of North 12th and Cherry Street. The site is now occupied by the Pennsylvania Convention Center (Cherry Street no longer intersects with 12th).
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, the second church built in Philadelphia, is located at the southwest corner of Third and Pine Streets. The church, which celebrated its first service on September 4, 1761, remains active 250 years later and retains its 18th century appearance.
For more information on St. Philip’s Church, see the entry for January 21.
The Floating Chapel, officially the Floating Church of the Redeemer, was a project of the Churchmen’s Missionary Association for Seamen of the port of Philadelphia. It was consecrated on January 11, 1849 in a ceremony officiated by Bishop Alonzo Potter with the assistance of many other clergy. The ceremony was very well attended and the Philadelphia Inquirer, in a January 12, 1849 article, called the dedication, “one of the most deeply interesting events that has ever transpired in our city.” The Floating Chapel remained moored at the Dock Street Wharf until 1851 when it was sold to a congregation in Camden, New Jersey. It was brought ashore and used for several years before it was destroyed in a Christmas morning fire.