This is almost a beautiful day, but not quite—it is a little too cloudy and raw. Went to St. Philip’s church this morning, to Summer St. Church in the afternoon, and to Grace church in the evening. Also accompanied Miss F. C—t to her Sunday School in the afternoon, but did not stay long.
St. Philip’s Church was first mentioned by Nathan on January 21.
For more information on Grace Church, see the entry for January 28.
What Nathan refers to as the “Summer St. Church” was officially the Church of the Atonement, located at Summer and 17th Streets. It was a relatively new church in 1849, having had its first service on the first Sunday of Advent in 1847 (November 28). The rector in 1849 was Reverend Kingston Goddard (ca. 1814–1875), D.D. The AAS has one of Dr. Goddard’s sermons in its collections.