Went to St. Philip’s this morning, took a walk in the afternoon with friend J.H.M. and went to St. James’ in the evening where the [illegible] & sermon were in French.
Was called on today by S. Thomas of Norristown.
J.H.M is James H. Morgan, Nathan’s frequent companion.
St. James Episcopal Church was located on the east side of 7th Street between Market and Arch, on a site now occupied by the massive United States Department of State building. The church Nathan attended in 1849 was sold and torn down in the late 1860s. A new St. James church was erected at 22nd and Walnut in 1870, but is extant no more.
The Reverend Henry J. Morton, D. D. (1807–1890) served as an assistant rector at St. James starting in 1830 and then assumed the rectorship in 1836 when Bishop William White died. Reverend Doctor Morton remained as rector until 1886 and continued as Rector Emeritus until his death on November 1, 1890.
This is Nathan’s first mention of “S. Thomas of Norristown.”