September 9, 1849 (Sunday)

This has been a magnificent day so clear and pleasant.

Went to Grace Church this morning and evening to hear Bishop Potter.  Took Miss E—h S—d—n to church in the evening.

Went to St. Philip’s in the afternoon.

The Grace Church had its cornerstone laid on April 24, 1833 at the southeast corner of North 12th and Cherry Street.  The site is now occupied by the Pennsylvania Convention Center (Cherry Street no longer intersects with 12th). The Rector in 1849 was Reverend William Suddards, D. D.

Bishop Alonzo Potter, third Episcopal Bishop of Pennsylvania, was first mentioned by Nathan on January 7.

There are several candidates who could be Miss E—h S—d—n.  A likely choice, though, is Elizabeth M. Snowden (b. ca. 1828), whose father, Thomas, was a surgical instrument maker in Nathan’s neighborhood and whose younger brother George was a clerk.

This entry was posted in Churches, Girls. Bookmark the permalink.