This has been a very pleasant day very much like Spring—so mild.
Went to see St. Mark’s church, a new Episcopal edifice that has just been erected in the Gothic style; it is very handsome. Called on the Misses S—d—ns this evening and accompanied them to Miss L—e.
St. Mark’s Church was organized in the Locust Street home of George Zantzinger on June 28, 1847. Zantzinger and like-minded Anglicans from Philadelphia’s western suburbs wanted to found an Episcopal church which adhered to the Oxford Movement. The Movement called for a return to historical norms, including Gothic architecture. The group hired noted Philadelphia architect, John Notman (1810–1865). The cornerstone was laid on April 25, 1848 and, on October 21, 1849, parishioners attended the first official service. Writing in 1884, historians Scharf and Westcott called St. Mark’s “in some respects, the finest church building in the city.”
St. Mark’s is an active community and the Philadelphia landmark continues to draw the faithful and the tourists at its original location on the north side of Locust Street between Sixteenth and Seventeenth Streets.
“Saint Mark’s History.” St. Mark’s Church http://www.saintmarksphiladelphia.org/saint-marks-history/. Accessed October 9, 2011.
Scharf, J. Thomas and Thompson Westcott. History of Philadelphia, 1609–1884. Philadelphia: L. H. Everts, 1884.